Monday, February 13, 2012

Owl Cupcakes

When my friend Deidre was having a surprise birthday party, I knew I wanted to make her something special! I'm the kind of woman who would rather make you something than buy you something. I love to cook and create fun foods to eat and enjoy! Deidre loves owls, so I was going to make her some Owl Cake Pops, but with a busy weekend, I ended up turning to my Pinterest and using a fun idea for making Owl Cupcakes, instead. I found a few different ideas, some are seen here and here, but there are a lot of different ways to make these. I stuck with a simple way! Being the mother of three kiddos under the age of 3, I only have nap time to complete tasks! I'm lucky to get 2+ hours! My camera had a smudge on the lens, so some of the pics are a little blurry, I'm sorry! I didn't know it when I was taking the pictures.


I decided to make these cute little guys, or gals, using:
  • 1 box cake mix, prepared into 24 cupcakes
  • 1 tub frosting of your choice, I used Vanilla
  • Food coloring of choice, I used Purple (Optional)
  • 1 box or bag of Reese's Pieces (Or M&M's), 48 Brown pieces and 24 Orange pieces
  • 48 Golden Oreos, regular stuffed, not double (You can use regular Oreos if you want)
I set out everything I was going to use to make these fun cupcakes.


I set out all my Oreos and set two brown Reese's Pieces on top of each. There weren't enough golden Oreos to make all 24 cupcakes, so I had to grab a few of our regular Oreos from our personal stash! I carefully twisted each Oreo making sure that the cream was all on one cookie and not the other. I set the empty cookie back in the Oreo package and set the side with the cream down. I used a small dab of white frosting to attach one brown Reese's Piece to each cream side cookie.


After all the pieces were attached to the Oreos, I used purple food coloring to make purple frosting.


I frosted one cupcake at a time. I used the tip of my butter knife to make the ears. I pressed down a little and pulled up to make two ears. I put a dab of frosting on the back of each eye and placed them next to each other on the cupcake. I placed an orange Reese's piece sideways below the middle of the eyes to make the beak. This is what it should look like:


I had a lot of fun making these little owls! I got some rave reviews on them, too! It took me 2 hours to make them, but you can always have a few helpers to make them faster! I know my girls would've loved to have helped! Here are what they looked like all together!


I couldn't forget to put a "Happy Birthday Deidre" sign on the cupcakes! I thought about it for a minute, then it hit me! I knew exactly what to do! I made one of the owls hold her sign!


I hope you come up with some creative new ways to make your own owl cupcakes! I'd just love to make some in pink, blue, green, and orange!

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment