Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter 2012

This year was the first year I've ever made homemade color for my Easter eggs! We've always bought the kits from the store. With our budget being tight, I decided to try the homemade version and see how it worked.

I bought Tone's Neon Food Color Kit last year for Halloween for cupcakes. I never looked at the box before, but it had some colored eggs on the front!


I thought to myself, "Maybe I don't have to buy an egg coloring kit after all!" I turned the box over and found this!


 My husband and I can fruits, veggies, and more, so we had a gallon of vinegar on hand. This was going to be easier than I thought! I got out my other normal colored food colors, too, and made 7 colors! Pink, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple! I counted the drops it took to fill up a 1/4 tsp. It is about 25 drops of food coloring. This made it a lot easier to just drop the color into the water instead of washing the measuring spoon after each color!

My oldest daughter and I started coloring some eggs! I decided to try the egg-in-whisk method I saw on Pinterest.




My daughter LOVED it! I didn't like it so much... it got my fingers all colored from removing the egg each time. But I didn't mind too much because Caity had fun! Here are our beauties!





 The colors were all super vivid! Which is how I like my eggs to be colored! I like them bright enough to be seen when they are hidden in the house or outside in the yard! Sadly, we didn't hide/find these eggs. I found a recipe for colored deviled eggs on Pinterest and had to give them a shot!

I got to cracking the eggs and I thought the trash bag full of the shells was gorgeous! I just had to snap a few photos!




I sliced the eggs in half and put the yolks into a bowl and the egg whites into another. I put 5 drops of the neon food coloring into a mug that was 2/3 full of cold water. I put 1 tsp. vinegar in with the water. I put three egg halves into each mug. It took a while to get the color I was looking for with the pink, green, and purple. The blue eggs took the least amount of time to reach a vivid color. After the first batch of eggs, I ended up putting a few drops of regular food coloring into the cups with the neon colors. I added 3 drops of red into the pink cup, 1 drop of yellow into the green cup, and 4 drops of blue with 2 drops of red into the purple cup. After the next batch, I had the colors I liked!


While the eggs were drying, I whipped up the egg yolks for the center. I used my sister-in-law's recipe for Deviled Eggs. I wish I could give you actual amounts for each ingredient, but I can't. You have to go by consistency and taste. Someday I will go by measuring cups, but I rarely do! Here's what I used:

-Egg yolks
-Hellman's Real Mayonnaise
-Mustard
-Green stuffed olives (pimento inside)
-Salt and Pepper to taste

I pushed all of the egg yolks through a mesh strainer. It is a little time consuming, but it ensures that there will be no chunks of egg yolk. I prefer this method! I put a big blob of mayonnaise on top of the yolks, squirted some mustard into the bowl and mixed it into the yolks. I put 15 olives into a mini-food processor with some of the liquid from the jar. I processed the olives with juice until it was all finely chopped. I added them to the yolk mixture. I added the same amount of mayo and mustard until I reached the consistency I wanted. I added a little bit of salt and pepper to the mixture afterwards. I spooned the mixture onto the egg halves and put them in the fridge to chill before I served them!


The eggs were a hit at our family dinner! The kids just loved them and it got them to WANT to eat them!

I was in charge of dessert and I found a cute idea on Pinterest that I just had to try!

I made Funfetti cupcakes that I dyed green and used Pink Lemonade frosting that I also dyed green to make the grass. I had some trouble with the grass, but I just winged it for the most part! I thought mine looked more like the kind of fake grass you buy for Easter baskets! I topped each with 3 mini-cadbury eggs!


Everyone enjoyed them! I think I will make my own frosting next time. The pre-made stuff was a little too runny for me. I had to work with what I had! But I think they turned out well, all things considered!

My family had a great time! I hope you all enjoyed your Easter!

Happy Baking/Creating/Cooking/Easter!

1 comment: